Hamilton County Old Jail
Built in 1893, the red brick building contains the cells where black and white prisoners were once confined on the second floor. This two-story fireproof brick, steel and concrete structure was also home to the Sheriff and his family. The tower was used for hangings as late as 1916. Documents and photographs are displayed on the first floor. Actual photographs of what is believed to be the last legal hanging East of the Mississippi are on display. This was Hamilton County's only jail and was used until 1984. On July 7, 1983, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
At this time the Old Jail is under renovations and can only be viewed from the outside.